By Joe Saggese
The Weekly Rebound Podcast (CT): Connor Sauer and Greg Horne recap Week 9 and preview all six First Round Playoff matchups.
Legacy Leagues Winter 2018 Playoffs: First Round (Monday, March 12 at 8:30pm)
#4 Team Moose (6-3) vs #13 Shooters Shoot (1-8)
First Matchup: Team Moose defeated Shooters Shoot, 71-39, in Week 1
Current Streak: Team Moose (W2), Shooters Shoot (L1)
Highest Power Ranking: Team Moose – 4, Shooters Shoot – 13
Team Moose nearly doubled up Shooters Shoot in their Week 1 matchup. Since then, both teams have improved and are now more comfortable playing together. Team Moose is one of the best defensive teams in this league but are playing a Shooters Shoot offense that relies on the long ball and difficult shots. Shooters Shoot’s only win this season is against a winless Semi Pro team. Look for Team Moose to shut down Shooters Shoot and move on to the quarterfinals.
Players to Watch: Kevin Blake (Team Moose), Luke Riccio (Shooters Shoot)
- Blake: Team Moose’s leading scorer is averaging 17.9 points per game. Blake penetrates the paint and draw fouls, and is efficient from the line shooting 76.1 percent. I expect Blake to continue his dominating season.
- Riccio: Luke is not afraid to shoot the ball, as he is one away from 200 shot attempts. He leads the team with 18.9 points per game and 2.9 assists per game. Riccio will need to limit his turnovers and get hot from the field if Shooters Shoot wants to advance to the next round
Potential Breakout Players: Rob Harrigan (Team Moose), Steven Parravano (Shooters Shoot)
- Harrigan: With great size and skill in the paint, Harrigan will be a huge matchup problem for Shooters Shoot. Shooters Shoot lack in size and physicality so expect Harrigan to take full advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
- Parravano: In last weeks matchup versus Goon Squad, Parravano had a double-double with 18 points and 10 boards. Shooters Shoot will be in need of extra possessions as they face a defensive-minded team in Team Moose. Expect Parravano to be impactful on the glass.
Legacy Leagues Predictions:
Joe: Team Moose
Mike: Team Moose
Kendall: Team Moose
Taylor: Team Moose
Stuckey: Team Moose
Legacy Leagues Winter 2018 Playoffs: First Round (Monday, March 12 at 9:30pm)
#5 Temptations (6-3) vs #12 Blood, Sweat and Beers (2-7)
First Matchup: Teams did not play in the regular season
Current Streak: Temptations (W3), Blood, Sweat and Beers (L2)
Highest Power Ranking: Temptations – 1, Blood, Sweat and Beers – 12
The Temptations are hot as they are on a three-game winning streak. Their high powered offense has proven they are prepared to matchup against any team in the playoffs. In Week 9, they defeated the Flint Tropics, even with a severe lack of numbers and depth. BS&B is a team that lacks size and offensive talent. Expect the Temptations to steamroll BS&B to move on to the next round of the playoffs.
Players to Watch: Carmine Santorelli (Temptations), Cody Dileonardo (Blood, Sweat and Beers)
- Santorelli: Carmine was electric in Week 9 scoring 34 points to lift his team past the Flint Tropics. With 23.6 points per game and 4.0 assists per game, Carmine is on fire since his return from injury. Expect him to continue his consistent and impressive perfomances.
- Dileonardo: BS&B’s best player leads the team with 16.3 points per game and 6.9 rebounds per game. If Blood, Sweat and Beers want a shot at advancing to the quarterfinals, Cody will need to continue his terrific 54.5 percent shooting.
Potential Breakout Players: Jaylon Eggleston (Temptations), Robo Peryer (Shooters Shoot)
- Eggleston: Jaylon is a terrific role player for the Temptations. His defense, vision and athleticism paves the way for Horton and Santorelli to do their thing. Look for Eggleston to put up points, dish out assists and make key defensive plays down the stretch.
- Peryer: Robo is BS&B’s best shooter from downtown. He is shooting 34.4 percent from the three point line. Expect Robo to get hot and rack up the points with his swift shooting stroke. If Peryer can get to the free throw line more throughout the game, his point production will continue to increase.
Legacy Leagues Predictions:
Legacy Leagues Winter 2018 Playoffs: First Round (Tuesday, March 13 at 9pm)
#8 Monstars (4-5) vs #9 Goon Squad (4-5)
First Matchup: Monstars defeated Goon Squad, 87-78, in Week 3
Current Streak: Monstars (L4), Goon Squad (W1)
Highest Power Ranking: Monstars – 2, Goon Squad – 5
The Monstars are on a four-game losing streak since their loss against undefeated No Limit in Week 6. Even though the Monstars are struggling at the wrong time of the season, I expect them to come out hungry for a crucial win. If Kintown Miles is healthy and back for the playoffs, they will advance past a Goon Squad team who has looked more sluggish then they have in the past. On the other hand, Goon Squad has looked impressive as of late and could play spoiler over the defending champs.
Players to Watch: Reggie Stewart (Monstars), Dom Migliaro (Goon Squad)
- Stewart: With 38 points, Reggie had a “monstar” performance last week versus The Chasers. He is averaging 20.4 points per game, 8.4 rebounds per game and 3.8 assists per game. Look for the former Finals MVP to come out fired up and ready to continue his great play in the playoffs.
- Migliaro: Leading the team with 3.1 assists per game, as well as averaging 16.8 points per game, Dom Migliaro makes everyone around him better. His big frame allows for him to drive hard to the basket, while his vision helps him find the open man. Expect Migliaro to run the offense and get everyone on the court involved.
Potential Breakout Players: Mike Cody (Monstars), DJ Ellis (Goon Squad)
- Cody: With such a great shot from the three point line, Mike Cody is always a huge threat when on the court. He averages the team best 41.7 percent from three. If he is able to get hot, look for Cody to make a lot of crucial shots in the clutch.
- Ellis: Since he joined the team, Ellis has acted as a spark plug for a struggling Goon Squad offense. With his great athletic ability and huge frame, he is a matchup problem for all defenses due to his ability to grab defensive and offensive rebounds. If Ellis can get to the line and finish shots down low, expect him to have a huge impact against a team who let up 138 points against The Chasers.
Legacy Leagues Predictions:
Kendall: Goon Squad
Taylor: Goon Squad